BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

1.10.2010

Reasons I Love the South Vol 1: Winter


Or, rather, the lack thereof. Generally speaking we have quite mild winters. I hate the cold so this suits me just fine. We don’t reach freezing temperatures all that often, and rarely stay there for long when we do. I can count the number of times it has snowed here in my lifetime on less than one hand. Just for reference, and to give you northern folks a laugh, this is an example of a major snow for us:


*note there is NO snow on the roads or sidewalks, and there are spots you can see through to the ground*

 Don’t get me wrong I actually like the snow. I think snow is pretty, and besides skiing, is the only reason for cold weather. That said I could never survive living in it all winter, and prefer it in very small doses. When it snows here we (well our businesses, schools etc) shut down. It’s a pretty major event, and if it actually sits on the ground we act like kids in a candy shop. No one here can drive in the stuff, and calamity ensues when driving is attempted. 

Well, this week/end we have been in a deep freeze. Here’s some more fodder for you northern folk, our deep freeze means the temperature has been hovering between 20°F-32°F since Thursday, with a wind-chill in the teens. Here’s the kicker, keep in mind we have had no precipitation, all the schools, and many businesses, SHUT DOWN on Friday because of the cold. Yes, that’s right, they shut down schools for cold weather. Unfortunately, I had to go to work, but since the city basically shut down we were pretty dead. I guess I should mention that we were supposed to have some rain on Thursday afternoon. So the “officials” were worried we would have small amounts of standing water that could turn into the dreaded black ice, and since us southern folk cannot be trusted to drive in ice/snow they felt it necessary to shut everything down. While I think this is a bit of an overreaction it also highlights one of the things I love about the south: we are NOT used to cold weather, and that’s the way I like it!

0 comments: