BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

7.01.2009

Steps to becoming a happier, healthier, more well adjusted person...

1. Diet - and by diet i don't mean I am on a diet. I pay attention to what I eat, and eat as healthily as I can. I try to eat as many fresh fruits and veggies as possible, and try to avoid eating anything that contains ingredients that I cannot pronounce, and are obviously not natural. A side note to unnatural ingredients, go read the ingredient list on margarine, it's appalling and does not contain anything that grows naturally, in fact I cannot pronounce the majority of the ingredients, I'm just sayin. I do not drink soft drinks, or really anything other than water, milk, fruit juice and occasionally iced tea. In addition to this I also try to eat as much locally (I define local by food grown/produced/harvested in my state) produced food as possible. If you are curious as to why read In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto, by Michael Pollan this has some of the reasons. I am very passionate about this. I won't lie it isn't cheap or easy, and there are certain things I just can't get locally. However, I think this is best for me in the long run. I think the added cost is worth it not only to my health but also to the environment. I could write a whole post on this so I will stop here for now....

2. Exercise - I go through phases with my exercise regimen. I will do very well for a while, going to the gym at least 3 times a week and making sure I am active, but I seem to keep falling off the exercise wagon. So, I got back on starting this past Friday. Last night I went to yoga class, and  I am either going to take another class tonight or go use a machine this evening for at least 30 minutes. I must get back into the habit of working out regularly.

3. Tidiness - I am a messy person, always have been, but I am trying to get it under control. So far so good. I have been keeping up with the common areas in my apartment pretty well the past few weeks. Now, I need to move on to my room, which has greatly improved, but is not where I want it to be. This is one of the issues that has been a HUGE problem in the relationship between me and my ex boyfriend. He is a neat freak, and I am the opposite. Frankly, I drive myself crazy with it as well no matter how much I try to convince myself that it isn't a problem I know that it is.

4. Water - I hear conflicting data on this, some people say you should drink 64oz of water a day, but I also hear you are supposed to drink half your body weight (in oz) of water a day. Either way I do not drink enough water. So, I am paying attention to how much water I drink and increasing my water consumption.

5. Verbal Tone - This one is pretty big. I have a tendency to catch a negative/bitchy tone when speaking to people without realizing it. I have been trying to figure out why I do this, and all I've come up with so far is that I become defensive, many times for no reason. I think I am always waiting to be verbally attacked or have to defend what I say. I am not sure why, and I realize that this is fairly irrational. Also, if I am annoyed or upset over something it comes through in my voice. Therefore, I have a bad tone with people even if they are not the reason I am upset which is not okay. I am not someone who hides it well when I am upset, it is usually pretty apparent to anyone with whom I come in to contact. So, I am trying to pay attention to this, and correct it. I think this will be the most difficult item on my list to conquer.

6. Finding a Hobby - I really need a hobby. I would like to do something artistic. Most of my dad's family is very artistically creative. Grammy - paints, quilts and sews, Aunt- makes glass beads and jewelry, Aunt- made (she recently passed) stained glass & painted, Uncle - should have been an architect, he can build anything. So I feel like I should have some kind of artistic ability in my genes. I have 2 problems though. One, I have no idea what my hobby should be. Two, most artistic hobbies are expensive. I would love to do glass blowing, but that requires some pretty serious equipment and money. I've considered scrap booking, but I just don't feel like that is what  I want. That can get pretty expensive too. Maybe I'll take a cake decorating class, hmmmmm, I will have to seriously consider this one.

So, I figure this is a starting point at least, and will adjust my list as necessary. 

0 comments: